Thursday, July 1, 2010

Featured Seller: Kayla of Blooms of Industry






1. How would you describe the style of your pieces?
Handmade Jewelry-
When creating jewelry I tend to think of each piece as a community composed of displaced objects from the past: a floral appliqué from some 60’s style fabric, a piece of lace trim, a few buttons from the cuff of an old blouse, and some nuts and bolts sighted during a walk through the city. I enjoy working in extreme detail, so most of my pieces are intricately beaded and collaged.
Vintage-
When it comes to vintage clothing, I’m a sucker for all things quirky, or those that involve a heavy amount of handiwork.

2. What inspires you?
Old button jars have always fascinated me, seeing buttons with thread or fabric still clinging to them from a previous garment, but removed and saved to be used again in the future. I tend to view all things I come across in this way, something waiting to be something else, and I like to aid in that transformation.

4. Who is your kind of customer?
My kind of customer is anyone who appreciates handwork (sewing, beading, etc.) along with anyone who enjoys reincarnation of the old.

5. Where can people find you?
As far as an online presence you can find me at my website: www.kaylanderson.com, my etsy site: www.etsy.com/shop/BloomsOfIndustry, or my blog kaylanderson.wordpress.com. Also, feel free to email me at: kayla.anderson.12@gmail.com