Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Featured Seller: Jillian Knox from Joules Jewels Vintage







1. How would you describe the style of your pieces?
If you had a mixing bowl of words they would be girly, kitschy, funky, hip-hop, and grandma. With a little bit of a professor/teacher relationship thrown in there. There is really no set style, it's just what I like is what I like. If it's cute and amazing, then it's in my store. I also carry high-end designers from time to time (Furla, Diane Von Furstenburg, Nicole Miller, Albert Nipon, Evan Picone, Barclay etc).

2. What inspires you?
Art. I am a photographer by trade, so the store gives me a chance to exercise that when I get new merchandise. Whenever I see a great piece, usually the first thing that comes to mind is if it will photograph well. I love texture, color, and design; it inspires me everyday.

3. Who is your fashion/design icon?
That's a real tough one for me. In terms of personal style, I don't really have one. Most people have a famous person or someone like that who they admire; I don't. There is no famous person who looks like me or who has a body like mine, so when I get dressed or go shopping whatever I like and looks good on me, I buy it. Most of my friends inspire me a lot as well and sometimes I will get dressed sort of channeling them or if I find something for the store that reminds me of them, I will name it after them. In terms of looking at trends or new fashions that I would like to try out or find for the store I look at lookbook.nu.

4. Who is your kind of customer?
Everyone. I don't shop for one particular type person in mind. I've had all ages, colors and backgrounds (even countries) shop my store. It just depends on what you need or what you have been wanting. I don't have a lot of clothing for men yet (I only have a few pieces); I'm working on it though!

5. Where can people find you?
People can find my store online (http://joulesjewels.etsy.com) and in person at various trunk shows around Chicago. You can find out what's going on and where I'll be through the store's blog (http://jjvintage.wordpress.com), Facebook Fan Page (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Joules-Jewels-Vintage/194253848739?ref=mf) and Twitter (@jjoules). I love hearing from shoppers and other vintagers!