Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Featured Seller: Carolyn Healy from Substance Designs







1. How would you describe the style of your pieces?
I like shiny things. I look for jewelry pieces that have clean lines, but something out of the ordinary, be it an interesting shape or unusual beads. If things are broken, I either repair them, or upcycle the elements into new and one-of-a-kind earrings, bracelets, necklaces or hair bobbies. I'm currently obsessed with three-strand vintage necklaces and delicate metal flower vintage earrings.

2. What inspires you?
I live to travel, and whenever I'm in a new place, I always try to hit up a local thrift store for the best souvenirs. I've always been a thrifter, and I love the hunt for great things. My recent big picture goal for substance designs is to convert the H&M crowd to vintage/handmade items. You can get twice the style for about the same price, while being totally green, supporting local/US products and sellers, and you KNOW no-one else is going to be wearing the same piece. I think people are looking for an alternative to the mass-production grind. A lot of my things are made in Japan or Hong Kong, but that's when shipping from Japan was a big deal! The pieces have clearly stood the test of time.

3. Who is your fashion icon?
Let's see, Nancy Pelosi, Paris Hilton, I kid, I kid... I always love the looks of people like Audrey Hepburn, Gwyneth Paltrow, but the people that truly inspire are those who don't have stylists (like my older sister, Anjou, and some of those great people you see on the El), that have a way of taking very clean simple outfits, and always know just the right accessory to draw the eye.

4. Who is your kind of customer?
You are. My kind of customer appreciates the styles and lines of the past and is willing to bring them back to everyday life. What may have worked on Donna Reed at a cocktail party is twice as nice when it's worn with jeans to a happy hour.

5. Where can people find you?
Easiest one-stop-shopping for me is www.substance-designs.com -- this links to Facebook, Twitter, my Etsy shop, and also lets you know my show schedule. I also have a small collection available at Click Shoes on Southport.